RELATIONAL DATABASE DESIGN
After reading this chapter, the reader will understand:
- Features of a relational database to qualify as a good relational database
- Decomposition that resolves the problem of redundancy and null values
- The concept of functional dependencies that plays a key role in developing a good database schema
- Introduction of normal forms and the process of normalization
- Normal forms based on functional dependencies that are 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, BCNF
- Additional properties of decomposition, namely, lossless-join and dependency preservation property.
- Comparison of 3NF and BCNF
- Higher normal forms 4NF and 5NF that are based on multivalued and join dependencies
- The process of denormalization
The primary issue in designing any ...