Chapter 5Inferential Biostatistics in Community and Public Health
After reading this chapter you should be able to
- Define estimation, and differentiate between point and interval estimates.
- Define the 95% confidence interval, and describe steps to calculate it.
- Differentiate between a research hypothesis and a statistical hypothesis.
- Describe the steps used in hypothesis testing, and differentiate between Type I and Type II errors.
- Describe methods for testing differences between two group means.
- Name and define common inferential tests.
This chapter has been designed to give an overview of inferential biostatistics as it is used in community and public health. Methods for estimation are described. Included in this ...