By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• List the three criteria for negotiating processes.
• State the central topic or objective of every negotiation.
• List the five basic needs of people that underlie all negotiations.
• State four reasons for distinguishing between needs and solutions in a negotiation.
• List the four ways to dissolve blocks in negotiations.
There are two different views of or approaches to negotiating. One view holds that negotiating is what we do to defend our solutions or positions, prove we are right, and win. When we take this view, ...