Strategic human resource development
THOMAS N GARAVAN and RONAN CARBERY
In real life, strategy is actually very straightforward. You pick a general direction and implement like hell.
(JACK WELCH, 2005)
When you have completed this chapter you should be able to:
- describe the defining features of SHRD;
- differentiate traditional notions of HRD from SHRD;
- understand the theoretical reasons for why SHRD can add value to the business;
- describe a number of theoretical and practical models of SHRD;
- describe factors that facilitate or enable SHRD in organizations;
- understand, through the use of case scenarios, how SHRD operates in practice.
There is a growing recognition that well-chosen HRD practices can have a direct ...