This chapter introduces the concept of perimeter security and covers the following topics:
• Physical installation of and administrative access to Cisco routers
• Features and uses of Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM)
• Configuration of a Cisco router to perform authentication, authorization, accounting (AAA) authentication with a local database
• Operation of external AAA sources such as RADIUS and TACACS+ servers, and configuration of a Cisco router to perform AAA
• Secure implementation of the management and reporting features of syslog, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Secure Shell (SSH), ...