After you read this chapter, you should be able to
- Understand the importance of employee benefits to strategic human resources management (SHRM)
- Explain how employee benefits are important components of SHRM
- Distinguish between required benefits and discretionary benefits
- Describe strategies to improve the quality of work life in public and nonprofit organizations
- Describe strategies to improve the quality of life of public and nonprofit employees
The preceding chapter on compensation provided an overview of salaries and wages, the direct financial compensation provided to employees for their contributions to the organization. But wages constitute only part of the compensation package. This chapter addresses indirect ...