By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Explain the elements of a dictionary entry.
• Describe the difference between the denotation and the connotation of a word.
• Cite two strategies for avoiding sexist and racially offensive language.
• Define what is meant by agreement of subject and verb.
• Cite four rules for choosing the correct pronoun.
Using the wrong word, or the right word in the wrong place, can have unintended results. Consider the following:
• From a newspaper headline: Department requests swell town budget.
• From the opening sentence of a news article: The ...