Help your employees help themselves.
As a manager in today’s business world, you can’t just tell your direct reports what to do: You need to help them make their own decisions, enable them to solve tough problems, and actively develop their skills on the job.
Whether you have a star on your team who’s eager to advance, an underperformer who’s dragging the group down, or a steady contributor who feels bored and neglected, you need to coach them: Help shape their goals—and support their efforts to achieve them.
In the HBR Guide to Coaching Employees you’ll learn how to:
• Create realistic but inspiring plans for growth
• Ask the right questions to engage your employees in the development process
• Give them room to grapple with problems and discover solutions
• Allow them to make the most of their expertise while compelling them to stretch and grow
• Give them feedback they’ll actually apply
• Balance coaching with the rest of your workload
Arm yourself with the advice you need to succeed on the job, from a source you trust. Packed with how-to essentials from leading experts, the HBR Guides provide smart answers to your most pressing work challenges.