Get in front of Google Wave, the exciting new real-time communication and collaboration technology that unifies email, instant messaging (IM), wiki, and social networking functions on one integrated platform. This ebook offers you an early look at this game-changing technology while it's still in the development stage.
In the first two chapters of this user guide, you'll quickly learn about the Google Wave structure and how it works. The second two chapters help you work with the Google Wave Client, a web app that allows end users to participate and collaborate.
This ebook is just the beginning. If your organization is interested in building sophisticated extensions for Google Wave, or customizing its functions and display, our forthcoming book, Google Wave: Up and Running shows software developers how to use Google Wave's APIs and the Google Wave network protocol.
Become familiar with Google Wave's key concepts and terminology
Learn about the threaded conversation model incorporated into conversations, or waves
Get use cases that show how the platform offers consumers a distinct advantage over current communication and collaboration technologies
Learn about extensions such as gadgets and robots
More than two million users have signed up for access to Google Wave, and hundreds of thousands users have started using it since it became available in public preview. Don't wait. Catch the wave with this book.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Google Wave
1. Introducing Google Wave
So What Exactly Is Google Wave?
- In a Nutshell
- Waves, Wavelets, and Blips, Oh My!
- Google Wave Incorporates Several Web Technologies
- Communication and Collaboration Inside the Browser
- The Google Wave APIs
- The Google Wave Federation Protocol
- Why It’s Likely that People Will Use Google Wave
- Reading the Tea Leaves: What’s Next for Google Wave
- Sample Use Case: Using Google Wave for an International Sales Team
2. Fundamentals of Communication and Collaboration in Google Wave
- Conversations Are Integral to Google Wave
- Enhanced Communication and Collaboration
- Sample Use Case: Using Google Wave to Plan a Wedding
3. Riding Waves
- 1-2-3 Let’s Get Ready to Surf
- Working with the Google Wave Client
- Interacting with Other Participants
- Managing Your Inbox
- Riding Your First Wave
- Sample Use Case: A Virtual Conference in Google Wave
4. Riding More Complex Waves
- Paddling Farther Out into the Big Blue
- Getting the Most Out of Extensions
- Sample Use Case: Running a Soccer League in Google Wave
- About the Author