By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Identify federal legislation relating to employment.
• Articulate the impact of employment legislation on the HR function.
• Define employment- and termination-at-will.
• List the steps required to guard against charges of negligent hiring and retention.
• Describe the procedures necessary to avoid discrimination charges.
Cara Chon has just been hired as the HR Director of Peetry, Inc., a manufacturing firm with 487 employees, and will report directly to the president. Having worked for two years as an HR manager in a large financial institution, ...