Chapter 7. Formatting data
This chapter covers
- Formatting raw data with Flex’s built-in formatters
- Types of formatters
- Real-time formatting and scripted formatting
- Dealing with formatting errors
Formatters are a class of objects that take raw data and transform it into a presentable visual format. From a usage perspective, they’re
comparable to validators in that similar mechanisms are employed to implement them. Formatters can be configured to function
in two modes:
- Real-time— Formatting is conducted on the fly automatically via data binding.
- Scripted— Using ActionScript you can create instances of formatters explicitly when needed and process the data accordingly.
The most important thing to know is that formatters are incredibly easy ...