In this chapter you will learn about the following:
- Michael Scriven's basic orientation to and definition of evaluation
- Scriven's critical appraisal of objectives-based and formative approaches to evaluation
- Scriven's 1983 attack on prevailing evaluation ideologies and associated methodological suggestions
- Key evaluation concepts of the consumer-oriented approach to evaluation, including formative and summative roles, needs assessment, goal-free evaluation, ascriptive evaluation, and metaevaluation
- Scriven's breakout of evaluation's basic acts into scoring, ranking, grading, and apportioning
- Scriven's recommended evaluation tools, including his Key ...