Biodiversity and its Conservation
After studying Unit IV, students will be able to:
- Define biodiversity and explain the need for its conservation.
- Identify and define genetic, species and ecosystem diversity.
- Explain the biogeographical classification of India.
- List the values of diversity.
- Describe consumptive use and productive use.
- Identify the social, ethical, aesthetic and optional values of biodiversity.
- Describe biodiversity at the global, national and local levels.
- Define hotspots in diversity and explain why India is a megadiversity nation.
- Identify and describe threats to biodiversity, such as habitat loss, poaching of wildlife, man–wildlife conflicts and list some endangered and endemic species of India. ...