In this chapter you will learn about:
- The development of counter e.m.f.
- The development and measurement of torque
- Classification of motors
- Generator action and motor action and their relationship
- Power rating of motors
- Construction of motors
- Characteristics of d.c. motors
- d.c. motor starting problems
- d.c. starting switch
- d.c. motor reversing
- Solution of simple problems on the above topics
Motor and generator action
The d.c. motor and the d.c. generator are essentially the same device. In the d.c. generator, the shaft is rotated by means of mechanical power and direct current is the output from ...