6 PROGRAMMING AND DEVELOPMENT APPROACHES
CONTENTS OF THIS CHAPTER
This chapter covers the following topics:
- approaches to development introduced;
- build or buy – bespoke development versus commercial, off-the-shelf (COTS);
- component-based development;
- development methodologies;
- software engineering paradigms;
- the influence of technological advances;
- references and further reading.
APPROACHES TO DEVELOPMENT
Using the term ‘systems development’ today seems somewhat limiting because, in practice, very few systems are actually developed from the ground up. Perhaps a better term would be ‘systems assembly’ (akin to car assembly, as distinct from car manufacture), or maybe even ‘solution development’. The issue here is that the ...