Enhancing the Integrity of Your Opinion
ONCE YOU HAVE REACHED THE top of your Credibility Pyramid, you need to take some time to reflect on your completed analytical process. At this time, there are nine factors that you should consider that can enhance the integrity of your opinion:
1. Understand the credibility threshold.
2. Understand the relevance and significance of the scope you have undertaken.
3. Understand the factual analytical responsibilities you have assumed.
4. Stay within your area of expertise—resist the temptation to cross over to an allied discipline. Keep the scope of your analytical process within your area of expertise.
5. Conduct your analysis within the parameters of economic reality relevant to the facts and circumstances of the engagement.
6. Maintain a high level of professional skepticism and engagement awareness.
7. Review your analytical process for relevance and typical common errors.
8. Unless you are licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction, resist the temptation to cite case law.
9. Be ready to respond to ethical challenges.
UNDERSTANDING THE CREDIBILITY THRESHOLD
Understanding the credibility threshold is an effective way to enhance the integrity of your opinion. In Chapter 2, among the credibility attributes, I introduced you to two aspects of credibility:
1. Credibility is a threshold. Once that threshold is crossed, adding ...