Virtual reality (VR) has become a dominant force in the game world, so knowing how it works is critical to anyone wanting to become a game developer. This course, designed for those with working knowledge of the Unity game engine interface, outlines the basics of 3D VR game development; it examines the capabilities of the different types of VR headset platforms; and it provides specific instruction on how to use the Google VR support tools inside the Unity game engine.
When you complete the course, you'll have a solid understanding of the VR game development process plus hands-on experience in how to create 3D VR games for Google VR headsets.
- Discover what VR - virtual reality - really means in the game context and how it works
- Explore the capabilities of different types of VR headsets/platforms
- Learn to work with the Google VR support tools inside the Unity game engine
- Understand how to build a 3D VR game designed for the Google VR platform
- Gain experience creating VR test scenes, setting up VR inputs, and interacting with VR space
- Learn about VR gameplay, audio in VR, and VR menus
Jon Manning is a co-founder of Secret Lab, where he makes games and does research. He has written about a dozen technical books for O'Reilly Media, and wrote two games for ABC Australia's children's TV series Play School and one for Qantas Airways. He's currently working on Button Squid, a top-down puzzler for iOS, and is fond of making cool tools for rad devs.