The CompTIA Network+ certification exam expects you to know how to
• 1.1 Explain the function of common networking protocols
• 1.2 Identify commonly used TCP and UDP default ports
To achieve these goals, you must be able to
• Describe common Transport layer protocols
• Explain the power of port numbers
• Define common TCP/IP applications such as HTTP, HTTPS, Telnet, e-mail (SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4), and FTP
We network to get work done. Okay, sometimes that “work” involves a mad gaming session in which I lay some smack down on my editors, but you know what I mean. Thus far in the book, everything you’ve read about networking involves connecting computers together. This chapter moves further up the OSI seven-layer ...