The CompTIA Network+ Certification exam expects you to know how to
• 1.5 Identify common TCP and UDP default ports: SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, Telnet, IMAP, SSH
• 1.6 Explain the function of common networking protocols: TCP, FTP, UDP, TFTP, HTTPS, HTTP, SSH, POP3, IMAP4, Telnet, SMTP, ICMP, IGMP
To achieve these goals, you must be able to
• Describe common Transport layer and Network layer protocols
• Explain the power of port numbers
• Define common TCP/IP applications such as HTTP, HTTPS, Telnet, e-mail (SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4), and FTP
We network to get work done. Okay, sometimes that “work” involves a mad gaming session in which I lay some smack down on my editors, but you know what I mean. Thus far in the book, ...