The effective use of Control Language (CL) is a critical skill for anyone working with IBM's robust midrange eServer family (i5, iSeries, and AS/400). But why settle for just enough CL knowledge to get by? From the simplest task to the most complex process, CL is at the heart of your server. Become a CL guru and fully leverage the abilities of your system. All it takes is a little time, effort, and Complete CL, 4th Edition.
Authors Ted Holt and Ernie Malaga present the latest version of a classic, bringing together all the basics of CL, plus the latest innovations in one thorough, well-organized, and easy-to-read package. In a clear, straightforward manner, the authors teach you how to write both simple and advanced CL programs, how to understand the strengths and limitations of CL, how to avoid common mistakes, and much, much more. With this book, you will master CL and extend the capabilities of your i5/iSeries. Programmers, operators, security officers, system administrators, or any IT professional working with OS/400 and i5/OS will benefit greatly by reading this book.
When getting by isn't good enough, get Complete CL, 4th Edition.
Complete CL, 4th Edition is fully updated to include the numerous enhancements to IBM's i5/OS, including a beefed-up compiler with new control structures, new data types, a new way to create documentation, a relaxation of old limits, and more.
In this latest edition, you'll learn how to:
- Code sophisticated looping techniques with the new control structures(SELECT, DOWHILE, DOUNTIL, and DOFOR)
- Expand your coding capabilities with the new integer data types
- Get beyond file processing limitations by learning how to process multiple files in a CL program
- Utilize IBM's powerful APIs by learning to pass parameters to procedures by value
- Use V5R3 control structures, variable types, and other enhancements
- Plus, you'll develop the skills needed to:
- Manipulate strings with built-in functions and operators
- Code looping and decision structures
- Make CL procedures communicate with users or with one another via messages
- Use data queues and data areas
- Understand and use overrides effectively
- Process display and database files
- Use APIs
- Effectively use the QTEMP library
- Understand and avoid the pitfalls of adopted authorities
- Understand security issues
- Develop a good CL coding style
- Understand differences between OPM and ILE
- Use CL in both batch and interactive processing
- Compile CL programs and modules and bind modules into programs
- Use the interactive debugger