With the introduction of wireless LAN (WLAN), IP networks are now also available for those applications on which wired technologies are not suitable or no wired connectivity is available at all. The following are a few wireless use cases:
• Home ISP connectivity: Consumer products
• Building-to-building connectivity: Point-to-point and multipoint
• “Last mile” ISP connectivity: Rural Internet access
• Mobility applications: Car rental returns and parcel deliveries
• Enterprise network extension: Reduce, move, add, and change/mobile office environment
Although WLAN appears to be “just another LAN type/protocol,” the nature of wireless is to be a ...