7 The Link Manager
The host drives a Bluetooth device through Host Controller Interface (HCI) commands, but it is the Link Manager (LM) that translates those commands into operations at the baseband level, managing the following operations.
- Attaching Slaves to a piconet and allocating their active member addresses.
- Breaking connections to detach Slaves from a piconet.
- Configuring the link including controlling Master/Slave switches (where both devices must simultaneously change roles).
- Establishing ACL (data) and SCO (voice) links.
- Putting connections into low-power modes: Hold, Sniff, and Park.
- Controlling test modes.
A Bluetooth Link Manager communicates with Link Managers on other Bluetooth devices using the Link Management Protocol (LMP). ...