Understanding Pipe Networks
For a pipe network design to be a success, it must meet the following basic requirements:
- The pipes must be sloped enough for water to flow through them.
- The pipes must be large enough to allow the expected amount of water to pass.
- The pipes must be far enough underground to avoid being damaged by freezing or by activities on the site.
- The pipes must not be so far underground that it is cost-prohibitive to install them.
- Structures must be provided that allow people to access the pipes to perform maintenance.
- In the case of stormwater management, structures must be provided that allow surface water to enter the pipes.
These requirements relate to two basic types of pipe design components: structures and pipes. This ...