• It takes up-front capital to construct a chemical plant.
• There are different levels of capital-cost estimation, roughly corresponding to the different levels of process diagrams discussed in Chapter 1.
• There are methods for estimating the cost of equipment for a chemical plant.
In Chapter 1, the information provided on a process flow diagram, including a stream table and an equipment summary table, was presented. In the next four chapters, this information will be used as a basis for estimating
1. How much money (capital cost) it takes to build a new chemical plant
2. How much money (operating cost) it takes to operate a chemical plant
3. How to combine items 1 and 2 to provide ...