By the end of this chapter you should be familiar with
- Types and principles of pericyclic reactions.
- What determines whether these pericyclic reactions go forwards or backwards.
- Conservation of orbital symmetry and what conrotatory and disrotatory mean.
- Electrocyclic reactions and rules governing them.
- Cycloaddition reactions and rules governing them.
- Sigmatropic reactions and rules governing them.
Organic reactions can be classified into three major classes: polar reactions (reaction between nucleophile and electrophile), radical reactions (reaction using one electron from each of the reactants) and pericyclic reactions. A pericyclic reaction, that is, cyclic reorganization of electrons, ...