Concept of Acids and Bases
By the end of this chapter you should be familiar with
- Why some molecules are acidic and others basic. Why some acids are strong and others weak.
- Why some bases are strong and others weak.
- Estimating acidity and basicity using pH and pKa. Structure and equilibria in proton transfer reactions.
- Which protons in more complex molecules are more acidic and which lone pairs in more complex molecules are more basic.
- The effects of structure and medium on the strength of acids and bases. The levelling effects.
- Making reactions selective using acids and bases.
In the mid-19th century, the German chemist Justus von Liebig commented that the wealth of a nation could be gauged by the amount ...