We have received a ton of feedback since the launch of STG for Android, so I am excited to let you in on what we have been working on the last few months. We have beefed up our development team to focus on the items below, but we are still a few weeks away from wrapping up dev and launching the update.
Our main focus has been addressing some of the performance and stability issues you have raised with us, specifically:
- Pre-Fetching and Caching – Our current live version only fetches one section at a time and we have completely overhauled the content retrieval and storage mechanism to dramatically improve load times between sections.
- Session Management – We are working to persist sessions longer/better and re-authenticate in the background when necessary to make this less intrusive.
- Offline Bookbag – Fixing issues with missing publisher layout/styles, paging jumped sections, and books were missing images.
- Resume – Ensuring % offset for resume is consistently set while reading and stored to properly resume reading in both online and offline mode, and when changing device orientation.
- Other – Various bug fixes and performance improvements
* Intermittent Connectivity – Addressing this issue relies heavily on the groundwork we are putting into this first release, but it is also very complex from both a dev and testing perspective. We knew that we had to get the architecture and reader right before tackling this problem. As a result, we took the decision to ship an update addressing the issues above first, followed by another release soon after that addressing the intermittent connectivity soon after.
Thanks for being patient with us as we focus on improving STG for Android!