Safari Books Online is looking for a Release Manager who will be responsible for leading the company’s product releases and for managing a software quality assurance team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the release process for multiple products end-to-end, from the initial planning to post-launch implementation. This includes coordinating not only technical resources, but also sales and marketing personnel for market launch and product roll-out.
- Assume full ownership and accountability for continually improving and optimizing the entire project lifecycle, balancing the efficient use of internal and out-sourced resources with business requirements as well as align release strategy with company’s goals and market opportunities.
- Maintain and communicate an up-to-date project release schedule, and project status, to various internal stakeholders and out-source partners.
- Prepare detailed implementation schedules, and develops test plans.
- Track progress across multiple simultaneous projects and takes proactive steps to ensure they are on time.
- Conduct regular release management meetings to coordinate efforts across multiple teams, including internal departments and external developers.
- Work with internal and external teams to prioritize and scope scheduled releases with completion dates for each phase. Monitors progress by employing appropriate metrics and management reporting and facilitate release meetings.
- Schedule reviews as necessary to ensure all stakeholders are aware of the impacts of a release.
- Coordinate and deliver release readiness training for operations and other groups.
- Coordinate and participate in regular post-implementation reviews and presents release metrics in order to assist with the evaluation of release quality.
- Ensure completion of operational and technical documentation prior to release. Gathers necessary release notes and user guides prior to releasing into production.
- Provide first line management and leadership of designated QA team.
- Provide strong leadership for continuous quality improvement initiatives that can enable the organization to scale without having to add resources linearly (staffing and capital)
- Lead the implementation of strategies to create highly automated test environments
- Organize and distribute workload to QA team. Monitors and reviews productivity and performance; generates reports based on analysis.
- Field questions from QA staff, coworkers, and partners; recommends solutions to technical issues.
- Audit external partnerships for quality control practices and process compliance per contracts and agreements.
- Establishe, modify, implements and monitor systems and procedures for efficient workflow.
- Compile status and work-volume reports for management.
- Perform QA staff duties as needed.
- Hire, train, supervise, motivate, and develop QA staff; manage schedules and workflow.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Prior experience managing and leading small teams.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates.
- Five or more years related work experience.
- Ability to manage and negotiate with third-party companies
- BS degree in computer science or related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- Knowledge of web-related standards and technologies, including HTTP, HTML, XML, XSL.
- Familiarity with basic security and networking concepts and technologies.
- Knowledge of popular mobile devices and platforms.
- Ability to quickly absorb product specific technical information in a rapidly changing environment.
Project Management and QA Experience:
- Strong track record of project management, with success leading complex projects and products.
- Experience managing multiple products, project estimating, and project deliveries and risk.
- Strong formal software testing/quality assurance methodology and tools experience, including scripted automated testing of web and mobile applications.
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Experience with load and performance testing
- Organized, highly-adaptable to a fast-paced and frequently changing environment.
- Able to listen, clearly communicate, facilitate solutions, and create relevant agreements that support actionable plans.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic team environment with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills, with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage changing priorities and evolving workflows.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Resourcefulness, flexibility, sense of urgency, and with a positive can-do attitude.
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization and from various backgrounds.