Safari Books Online, LLC is looking for a Vice President of Product Development who has a comprehensive knowledge of web technologies and who can drive successful and on-budget development and execute on time delivery of products and services across multiple online, mobile and enterprise offerings as well as publisher-facing services. This position can work out of our San Francisco or Sebastopol offices and will be responsible for all activities related to the development of new products and ongoing management of existing products, technology strategy, and planning, implementing and managing a product roadmap aligned to the Company’s sales strategy to achieve customer success and revenue goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position reports directly to the CEO, is a member of the executive team and will play a key technical role in corporate and board level initiatives.
- Lead a team of Designers, Engineers, Project Managers and Product Managers.
- Identify and analyze product opportunities in light of business model and target customers.
- Identify product features and functionality related to business objectives.
- Develop strategic planning for the direction and quality of product development activities.
- Assure that department achieves objectives and project completion within budget and established deadlines.
- Motivate staff and provide technical direction and guidance, as well as hands-on project management, recognizing the role as that of manager and support resource / mentor.
- Hire and direct staff to acquire necessary resources to meet scheduled commitments.
- Ensure implementation and refinement as required of formal process to support the product development process.
- Ensure that product development is focused on meeting and exceeding the customer requirements; designed for specific needs, but with wider applications in mind.
- Work with key strategic platform partners to develop enhancements to existing third party platform components, services, and API’s.
- Understand customer needs and measure customer behavior to develop new product features and requirements.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience in building and managing a high performance product development and management teams.
- Demonstrated track record of success in driving the entire product lifecycle, from conception to launch and post-launch evaluation and improvement.
- Experience working with usability and user interface designers and front-end developers.
- Experience collecting and synthesizing product input from multiple sources (users, testers, business development, partners, engineering, competitive products, management, etc.).
- Effectively communicate with all levels of the organization up to and including the Board of Directors.
- Understanding and experience in preparing and managing departmental budgets.
- Possess a strong work ethic; proven track record of working hard to produce results, not just activity.
- Experience with mobile ecommerce is a plus.
- Publishing industry experience is a plus.
- Bachelors degree required; Masters or MBA preferred.
Please forward resumes of interest to: email@example.com