We launched a challenge that invites Safari Books Online subscribers to write a book or video review and in exchange for their review, we’ll enter their name into a drawing to win an eReader of their choice. We also invited non-subscribers to sign up for a free trial of Safari Books Online so they could get in on this challenge. The more reviews they write and share, the greater their chances of winning.
The following book was reviewed by Gregory Quimby, a Safari Books Online subscriber:
|Title: A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fourth Edition
By: Mark G. Sobell
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Print ISBN-10: 0-13-714295-1
Here’s an overview of the book:
Master All the Techniques You Need to Succeed with Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux in the Workplace
You’re studying Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux with a single goal: to succeed with these state-of-the-art operating systems in real workplace environments. In this book, one of the world’s leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge you’ll need to achieve that goal. Writing in plain English, best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on the skills you will actually use as a professional administrator, user, or programmer. Sobell assumes no prior Linux knowledge: He starts at the very beginning and walks you through every topic and skill that matters.
Step by step, you’ll learn how to install and configure Linux from the accompanying DVD, navigate its graphical user interfaces, set up Linux to provide file/print sharing and Internet services, make sure Linux desktops and networks are as secure as possible, work with the powerful command line, and administer Linux in real business environments.
Mark Sobell has taught hundreds of thousands of Linux and UNIX professionals. He knows every Linux nook and cranny–and he never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whatever your Linux-related career goals, this book gives you all you need–and more.
Compared with the other Linux books out there, A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, College Edition, delivers
- Complete, up-to-the-minute coverage of Fedora 8 and Enterprise Linux 5
- Deeper coverage of the command line and the GNOME and KDE GUIs, including customizing the desktop
- More practical coverage of file sharing using Samba, NFS, and FTP
- More usable, realistic coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache, sendmail, NFS, DNS/BIND, and LDAP
- More state-of-the-art security techniques, including SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), ACLs (Access Control Lists), firewall setup using both the Red Hat GUI and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
- More and better coverage of “meat-and-potatoes” system/network administration tasks
- A more practical introduction to writing bash shell scripts
- Complete instructions on keeping Linux systems up-to-date using yum
- And much more…including a 500+ term glossary and a comprehensive index to help you find what you need fast!
Check out this book A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fourth Edition on Safari Books Online.