Users Experience Enhanced Performance and Greater Speeds While Watching Video On Mobile Devices and PCs
SEBASTOPOL, Calif. – Feb. 7, 2011 – Safari® Books Online (www.safaribooksonline.com), the leading on-demand digital library for technology, digital media and business professionals, today announced that it has delivered a new video player to enhance the video watching experience for all users no matter how they access content on Safari Books Online. Users can tag or write notes on video clips and can share 30-second video clips with friends, making the entire video experience more robust.
As users watch training videos and tutorials, they will experience increased delivery speeds because Safari Books Online has moved the distribution of the online videos to a Content Delivery Network. The new video player provides video streams with appropriate bit-rates based on the user’s bandwidth and the mobile device, electronic reader or PC used to access a Safari Books Online subscription. Users can also watch videos from the Safari Books Online mobile site (m.safaribooksonline.com) or from the standard portal (my.safaribooksonline.com).
Product features for the Safari Books Online video player include:
- Video Bookmarking – When viewing from a PC, videos can be bookmarked at a specific timestamp
- Video Notes and tags – When viewed on a PC, videos can have Notes/Tags attached to them
- Sharing — 30 second video clips can be shared with friends even if they are not Safari Books Online users
- Updated player UI – A simpler and more friendly user interface improves viewing
- Video Content Delivery Network (CDN) – Video is streamed over a CDN, increasing delivery speeds
- Right Sized Streaming — Video streams at appropriate bit-rates based on a user’s bandwidth which improves performance
- Cross Referencing — Related videos show at the end of the clip
- Viewing tracking – Safari Books Online will show users if a clip has already been viewed
- Mobile Functionality — Mobile devices can view videos (but you cannot create Notes/Tags/Bookmarks/Share from a mobile device) Full site video will be presented in a flash video while mobile delivery will be customized based on user’s device.
“With this enhancement to our offering, we are pleased to offer users an improved video viewing experience,” said Nic Werner, product manager, Mobile, Safari Books Online. “Our goal is to continue providing users the tools they need to help them digest, learn and benefit from the content they watch and read and we feel we’ve made a solid step forward with our new video player.”
About Safari Books Online
Safari Books Online (www.safaribooksonline.com) is an on-demand digital library that delivers expert content in both book and video form from the world’s leading authors in technology and business. Technology professionals, software developers, Web designers, and business and creative professionals use Safari Books Online as their primary resource for research, problem solving, learning and certification training. Safari Books Online offers a range of product mixes and pricing programs for organizations, government agencies and individuals. Subscribers have access to thousands of books, training videos and prepublication manuscripts in one fully searchable database from publishers like Cisco Press, Prentice Hall Professional, O’Reilly Media, Addison-Wesley Professional, Microsoft Press, Sams, Que, Peachpit Press, John Wiley & Sons, Elsevier, IBM Press, Adobe Press, Sun Microsystems Press, FT Press, Apress, Manning, New Riders, Apple Certified, Course Technology, Splash Media and dozens more. For more information about Safari Books Online, please visit us online.
# # #