Dependencies may have limited visibility (called scope).
- test: The library is used to compile and run test classes but is not packaged in the produced artifact.
- provided: The library is provided by the environment (persistence provider, application server, etc.) and is only used to compile the code.
- compile: The library is necessary for compilation and execution.
- runtime: The library is only required for execution but is excluded from the compilation (e.g., JSF components and JSTL tag libraries).
- APPENDIX A: Setting Up the Development Environment
- from Beginning Java EE 7
- Publisher: Apress
- Released: June 2013