You are here
This Policy (the "Policy") discloses the privacy practices of Safari Books Online, LLC ("Safari," "we," "us," "our"). Safari is the owner and operator of the web sites located at www.creativeedge.com, www.pubfactory.com, and www.safaribooksonline.com. This Policy governs how Safari collects, stores, processes, transfers, uses, and protects personally identifiable information that it collects from and about you.
Safari Books Online, LLC complies with the U.S. - E.U. Safe Harbor framework and the U.S. - Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Safari Books Online, LLC has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Safari Books Online, LLC's certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor. If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at:
Safari Books Online, LLC
1003 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Information We Collect
Personally Identifiable Information ("PII") means information that can be directly associated with you (such as your name, email address, telephone number or billing information), or information about activities directly linked to you (such as subscriptions that you have licensed or purchased). We collect PII in the following ways:
1.1 Information that you provide to us directly:
When you contact or communicate with Safari, we may gather information such as your name, physical address, email address and phone number.
When you participate in a promotional offer (such as a trial subscription) and/or purchase products or services, we may gather information regarding the offer that you participate in, and any products or services that you purchase, as well as financial information such as your credit card number.
When you register for an online account, subscribe to a newsletter, participate in communities or an event, program, class or promotion, or click on a URL, we may gather user preferences, product interests, industry focus, community choices and other customer profile information.
1.2 Information we collect through technology related to our products and services:
Certain products and services that you acquire from us may connect and transmit telemetry and system/product data to us or our authorized agents. This data may include, but is not limited to, system model, operating system, host ID and IP address.
We use this information to manage and administer our products and services, and as the basis for advising you of the availability of updates and new versions, providing agreed upon testing and monitoring of services that we provide, enhancing our products and services, and improving and targeting our communications with you.
1.3 Information we collect through online technology:
Cookies, web beacons and similar technologies enable us to collect information about your visits to our websites, such as:
- Internet Protocol Address
- Browser type
- Operating system
- Referring site (site you visited before coming to our site)
- Date and time of visit
- URL of pages visited
- Other browsing behavior, such as products and white papers downloaded
Most browsers allow you to remove and block cookies and web beacons. If you do so, you will need to re-enter your User Name and password to access certain parts of our web sites and you will be served only generic information that is not focused on your specific interests. Also, you may not be able to use certain Safari web site features or take full advantage of our offerings.
1.4 Information from other sources:
From time-to-time we may receive information from other sources, such as commercial contact lists or companies that we acquire, and we may combine that information with information previously collected.
If you give us PII (as defined in Section 1) on behalf of someone else (or someone else gives us PII on your behalf), we require that the person providing the PII to us must have consent to do so from the person whose information is provided. To request the removal of your PII, whether it was provided by you, by a friend, or by a third party marketing company, please see the "Access and Accuracy" section below.
- 1.1 Information that you provide to us directly:
How We Use Information We Collect
We use PII to conduct business, provide information and support for products and services, improve our understanding of your needs and interests, develop and improve our services and products, and personalize communications. Examples include:
Advising you of relevant promotions, products, services, and news about Safari and affiliated third-parties
- Processing and fulfilling orders
- Creating and monitoring accounts
- Market research projects
- Analyzing how our products and services are used
- Personalizing content and advertising
- Monitoring our services in order to prevent and identify unauthorized content use and violations of our end user agreements
- Planning and forecasting
- Legal compliance
- Preventing fraud and prohibited or illegal activities
How We Share and Disclose PII
We will not sell your information to third party companies for their promotional use, except in the event that Safari is involved in a merger or acquisition as described below.
We may share or disclose your PII with:
- Companies that are related to Safari, in order to support business and marketing processes
- Our service providers and suppliers, who are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us. For example, we use a third party payment processor in order to bill you for the goods and services you have purchased, an email service provider to send communications to you on our behalf, and a third party "Live Chat" service that helps provide customer service.
- As necessary, if we suspect a violation of our policies or to protect the rights or safety of any person or entity
- Government agencies, law enforcement agencies and others, based on a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to respond to judicial process, valid government inquiry, or is otherwise required by law
- The buyer, if Safari or any of its assets are sold. You will be notified via a prominent notice on our web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- Other third parties for purposes you have allowed by giving us your prior consent
- Others including without limitation other participants, to the extent of any PII that is posted by you or an authorized third party to our wikis, forums, blogs, message boards, chat rooms and other social network environments
- We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our web site offers a publicly accessible blog. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog, contact our customer service through one of the methods listed below. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Notice and Choice
We provide notice about our use of PII in this Policy, in our web pages, and in other locations where we collect information. You can choose whether or not to provide your PII to us. If you choose not to provide PII, you may be not be able to take advantage of certain offers, options, events and services that depend upon accurate PII.
To opt-out from or change your marketing communications, preferences, sign in to your account and go to the Email Preferences section of the My Account page. You may also opt-out of receiving newsletters or other communications by following the opt-out instructions included in each newsletter or communication. Please note that your marketing communication preferences do not affect transactional, relationship and legally required communications.
We will only share personal information with third parties if those third parties provide an adequate level of data protection to help ensure the security of personal data.
Safari uses administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of PII against loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. In addition, we use standard security protocols and mechanisms (such as secure socket layer [SSL] encryption) to transmit sensitive data such as credit card details.
You can assist us in protecting your PII by keeping your password and login information secret, and making sure that you terminate user sessions, close the browser, and log out when you access our services from shared computers. Please note that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Access And Accuracy; Updating, Correcting or Deleting Information
It is important to us to maintain the accuracy of your contact information.
If you need to update, correct, or request the deletion or deactivation of your information please do so by email at email@example.com.
You also may update your information by writing to:
- Safari Books Online, LLC
- Attn: Customer Service
- 1003 Gravenstein Hwy North
- Sebastopol, CA 95472
We will make reasonable efforts to incorporate the changes as soon as possible. Before we make changes, we may ask you to verify your identity and/or provide other details. We may keep a copy of the prior information for our records.
We provide individuals with reasonable access to their PII in order to have it corrected, amended or deleted where it is inaccurate or inappropriate for the specified purposes of processing. We will respond to all requests for access within 30 days.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active, and as necessary to provide you services, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce our agreements.
Safari's web sites and marketing are not directed to children under 13 years of age.
Transfers of PII Under Safe Harbor
Safari transacts business throughout the world and has operations, processes and systems that cross borders. If you choose to provide us with information, including PII, you understand that we may transfer it within Safari in the United States or to affiliates, joint venture partners, and third party service providers around the world.
Questions or Concerns: Contact Us
Safari regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or Safari's treatment of PII by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at:
Safari Books Online, LLC
Attn: Customer Service
1003 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
- Safari Books Online, LLC
Please note that this Policy may change from time to time. We will not reduce your rights under this Policy without your explicit consent. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We will also keep prior versions of this Policy in an archive for your review.
Your California Privacy Rights
(for California residents) - Information-Sharing Disclosure
Safari’s policy is to share your personal information only if you have given us your consent, for instance, by your agreeing to this Policy.
After obtaining such consent, Safari may from time to time provide its business partners with contact details for direct marketing purposes of relevant services, products, and programs.
If you no longer wish your information to be shared, please let us know. If you have further inquiries regarding our information sharing practices, please let us know. You can email us at email@example.com.
This is version 3.0.