Think you can't have fun learning statistics? Think again.
The Manga Guide to Statistics will teach you everything you need to know about this essential discipline, while entertaining you at the same time. With its unique combination of Japanese-style comics called manga and serious educational content, the EduManga format is already a hit in Japan.
In The Manga Guide to Statistics, our heroine Rui is determined to learn about statistics to impress the dreamy Mr. Igarashi and begs her father for a tutor. Soon she's spending her Saturdays with geeky, bespectacled Mr. Yamamoto, who patiently teaches her all about the fundamentals of statistics: topics like data categorization, averages, graphing, and standard deviation.
After all her studying, Rui is confident in her knowledge of statistics, including complex concepts like probability, coefficients of correlation, hypothesis tests, and tests of independence. But is it enough to impress her dream guy? Or maybe there's someone better, right in front of her?
Reluctant statistics students of all ages will enjoy learning along with Rui in this charming, easy-to-read guide, which uses real-world examples like teen magazine quizzes, bowling games, test scores, and ramen noodle prices. Examples, exercises, and answer keys help you follow along and check your work. An appendix showing how to perform statistics calculations in Microsoft Excel makes it easy to put Rui's lessons into practice.
This EduManga book is a translation from a bestselling series in Japan, co-published with Ohmsha, Ltd. of Tokyo, Japan.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- Our Prologue: Statistics with Heart-Pounding Excitement
- Chapter 1: Determining Data Types
- Chapter 2: Getting the Big Picture: Understanding Numerical Data
- Chapter 3: Getting the Big Picture: Understanding Categorical Data
- Chapter 4: Standard Score and Deviation Score
- Chapter 5: Let's Obtain the Probability
- Chapter 6: Let's Look at the Relationship Between Two Variables
- Chapter 7: Let's Explore the Hypothesis Tests
Let’s Calculate Using Excel
- 1. Making a Frequency Table
- 2. Calculating Arithmetic Mean, Median, and Standard Deviation
- 3. Making a Cross Tabulation
- 4. Calculating the Standard Score and the Deviation Score
- 5. Calculating the Probability of the Standard Normal Distribution
- 6. Calculating the Point on the Horizontal Axis of the Chi‑Square Distribution
- 7. Calculating the Correlation Coefficient
- 8. Performing Tests of Independence
|j / →||Next chapter|
|k / ←||Previous chapter|
|f||Increase font size|
|g||Decrease font size|
|t||Toggle the table of contents|
Site wide shortcuts
|h||Go to the homepage|
|r||Go to recommended page or get a new recommendation|
|u||Scroll up to top of page|
|esc||Close modal windows|
|?||Toggle this panel|
|/||Focus search (where present)|
|j / →||Select next card|
|k / ←||Select previous card|
|↑||Select card above it|
|↓||Select card below it|
|tab||Focus next element inside card|
|esc||Remove selection from card|
|m||Show more cards (if more button present)|
Focused Cards (?)
|d||Remove recommended card|
|Shift enter||Go to chapter|
Shortcuts may be disabled from the settings page.