Take your iTunes know-how to 11!
Updated May 17, 2014
Let iTunes expert Kirk McElhearn help you become an iTunes power user and get the most out of iTunes 11 whether you want to enjoy your own media or try cloud-based options like podcasts and iTunes Radio.
With a question-and-answer approach, Kirk shares his love of music and helps you understand the process of bringing media into iTunes, tagging it, adding album artwork, and organizing it into playlists. You'll also learn the best ways to transfer media to an iPad, iPhone, or iPod.
Find answers to questions about how to:
Play: This chapter covers how to play audio and video, and how to make quick playlists with Genius and Up Next. It also describes how to bring back the left-hand sidebar. Or, you can learn to love the new Source pop-up menu.
Rip: Add content to iTunes with detailed steps for "ripping" music CDs and audiobooks. (If you want to rip--or tag--audiobooks so they play nicely from iTunes, don't miss this chapter!) Also, find general advice for ripping video DVDs and learn which file formats work in iTunes.
Buy: Become expert at managing and sharing iTunes Store media (including free podcasts and iTunes U courses), and understand what the iTunes Store does well--and not so well. Plus, discover other online music vendors, whether you want to download or stream content.
Tag: Kirk describes himself as "tag obsessed." If that description fits you, or if you just want to take control of your tags, this chapter is for you. Tags are descriptive bits of information--known to geeks as "metadata"-- that describe your media. You can sort and filter based on tags, giving you myriad ways to manipulate your iTunes library. Learn which tags to bother changing, how to tag a file to put it in a particular library, how to add lyrics and album art, and more.
View: iTunes has more views than flavors of ice cream at the corner grocery. Get the scoop on how to switch between views, where your album art is (or is not), and so forth. This chapter also discusses plain-as-vanilla contextual menus and Apple's new menu flavor -- the popover.
Organize: Make a simple playlist of romantic songs, workout songs, or whatever theme you like. Also, create smart playlists that, for example, comprise only your 5-star faves or tunes you haven't heard recently. You'll also find answers to questions about operational issues like dealing with a huge library, multiple libraries, and where iTunes puts your media files... including ebooks in 10.9 Mavericks.
Search: Find media in iTunes, plus learn tricks such as searching based on star rating or locating duplicates.
Sync: You've put all your media in iTunes... now, how do you transfer it to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? This chapter answers questions about manually managing the transfer and has help for people who have too much music. It also notes options for playing media through a second- or third-generation Apple TV.
Cloud: Access content you bought from Apple even if you never actively downloaded it, from your computer or an iOS device. Plus, try iTunes Match, a subscription service that uploads your music to the cloud even if you didn't buy it from Apple.
Share: Find answers to questions about sharing iTunes library media with others, primarily through Home Sharing on a local network.
Burn and Print: Learn how to copy music from iTunes to a CD. Also, get directions for printing a song list, for example, to include in the jewel case of said CD.
Back Up: This short chapter has tips and inspiration for backing up your (potentially irreplaceable) iTunes media.
Extend with AppleScript: Mac users can make iTunes do more with AppleScript. Learn about key AppleScripts that you can download to make iTunes jump through even more hoops.
Table of Contents
- Read Me First
- iTunes Quick Start
- Play Topics
- How Do I Play CDs with iTunes?
- Set What Happens When You Insert a CD
- Control Playback
- Do I Have to Play a CD in Order?
- In What Other Ways Can I Control iTunes While I Listen to Music?
- Artwork Player
- How Do I Listen to Music from My Library or from a Playlist?
- What Is Genius?
- How Do I Turn On Genius?
- How Do I Create a Genius Playlist?
- Add an Ad Hoc Genius List to Up Next
- Save a Genius Playlist
- How Do I Play Genius Mixes?
- How Do I Jump Back to Songs I’ve Played Recently?
- How Do I Use Up Next?
- The Song Queue and Up Next
- Can I Listen to Internet Radio?
- How Do I Listen to Podcasts or iTunes U Content?
- Is There Anything Special to Know about Listening to Audiobooks?
- How Do I Make My Music Sound Better?
- Can I Play Audio or Video over a Network?
- How Do I Control iTunes Remotely?
- How Do I Display Eye Candy While Listening to Music?
- How Do I Watch Videos in iTunes?
- Rip Topics
- How Should I Rip My CDs?
- Which Compression Format Should I Use to Rip CDs?
- Which Bit Rate Should I Use to Rip CDs?
- What Other Settings Are Important When Ripping CDs?
- How Do I Rip a Music CD?
- How Do I Rip an Audiobook CD?
- Joining Tracks
- Keeping Individual Tracks
- How Do I Use iTunes to Convert Audio Files to a Different Format?
- How Do I Rip Videos to Use in iTunes?
- Why Can’t I Sync My Video to My iOS Device?
- Can I Rip Just the Music from a Concert DVD?
- Buy Topics
- What Does the iTunes Store Sell?
- Which iTunes Store Content Has DRM?
- How Do I Authorize and Deauthorize My Computer for iTunes Store Purchases?
- From How Many iOS Devices Can I Log In to My iTunes Store Account?
- How Do I Control Which Devices Share My iTunes Account and iTunes in the Cloud?
- How Do I Shop in the iTunes Store?
- How Do I View Content from the iTunes Store in My iTunes Library?
- Is the iTunes Store Perfect?
- How Do I Use the iTunes Store Efficiently?
- Where Else Can I Buy Music Online?
- Where Can I Stream Music From?
- How Do I Add Digital Files I Already Own to iTunes?
- Where Can I Find Podcasts?
- How Do I Subscribe to a Podcast That’s Not in the iTunes Store?
- Can I Get Smarter with the iTunes Store?
- Tag Topics
- What Are Tags?
- Which Tag Information Is Stored Where?
- Which Tags Should I Worry About?
- How Do I Change Tags?
- Which Tags Should I Change?
- How Do I Put Files in the Correct Library?
- How Do I Add Lyrics to My Tracks?
- How Do I Add Album Art?
- How Do I Rate Songs?
- What Are Plays and Skips?
- How Do I Reset My Plays or Skips?
- Organize Topics
- A Word of Wisdom…
- How Do I Make a Standard Playlist?
- How Can I Share Playlists?
- What Can I Do with a Playlist?
- What Are Smart Playlists?
- How Do I Create a Smart Playlist?
- What Interesting Things Can I Do with Smart Playlists?
- Do Smart Playlists Slow Down My Library?
- How Can I Organize My Playlists?
- How Do I Delete a Playlist?
- How Do I Delete Songs from a Playlist?
- How Do I Delete Songs from My Library?
- How Does iTunes Organize My Files?
- Where Can I Put My Media If I Run Out of Room on My Disk?
- How Do I Move an iTunes Library from a Windows PC to a Mac?
- What’s the Best Way to Deal with My Huge Music Library?
- Can I Have More than One iTunes Library on My Computer?
- Sync Topics
- What Should I Sync to My iOS Device?
- How Do I Choose What to Sync to My iOS Device?
- Pick Media Manually
- Pick Media Automatically
- How Do I Sync This Ebook to My iOS Device?
- How Do I Squeeze as Much Music as Possible on My iOS Device?
- Can I Have iTunes Fill My iOS Device?
- How Can Two (or More) People Sync iOS Devices with the Same Computer?
- What about Syncing an Apple TV?
- Are There Special Features for Syncing an iPod shuffle?
- Cloud Topics
- How Can I View My Puchased Content in My iTunes Library?
- How Do I Re-download iTunes Store Content?
- How Can My iTunes Store Purchases Automatically Download?
- What Is iTunes Match?
- How Do I Start Using iTunes Match?
- What Do the iCloud Status Messages Mean?
- How Do I Play Music in My iTunes Library Using iTunes Match?
- How Can I “Upgrade” My Music with iTunes Match?
- What Happens to Music in Apple Lossless, AIFF, or WAV Format?
- How Do I Add New Music to iTunes Match?
- How Do I Manage My Music Library with iTunes Match?
- What Happens If I Turn Off iTunes Match?
- How Do I Use iTunes Match in iOS?
- Is iTunes Match Perfect?
- Share Topics
- How Do I Share My iTunes Library over a Network?
- How Do I Access Someone Else’s iTunes Library?
- How Do I Create a Centralized Music Server and Share It with iTunes Library Sharing?
- Can You Tell Me More about iTunes Library Sharing?
- How Do I Copy Media from One iTunes Library to Another?
- Back Up
- Bonus: Extend iTunes with AppleScripts
- Learn More
- About This Book
- Copyright and Fine Print
- Featured Titles
- Equinux Coupon
- Rogue Amoeba Coupon
|j / →||Next chapter|
|k / ←||Previous chapter|
|f||Increase font size|
|g||Decrease font size|
|t||Toggle the table of contents|
Site wide shortcuts
|h||Go to the homepage|
|r||Go to recommended page or get a new recommendation|
|u||Scroll up to top of page|
|esc||Close modal windows|
|?||Toggle this panel|
|/||Focus search (where present)|
|j / →||Select next card|
|k / ←||Select previous card|
|↑||Select card above it|
|↓||Select card below it|
|tab||Focus next element inside card|
|esc||Remove selection from card|
|m||Show more cards (if more button present)|
Focused Cards (?)
|d||Remove recommended card|
|Shift enter||Go to chapter|
Shortcuts may be disabled from the settings page.